After Activities have commenced all over the Nation after the Covid-19 Lockdown, in a country where age limit is considered during job seeking, It looks like Nothing is being done to Address situations of Graduates waiting to participate in the compulsory National Youth Service Scheme.
In Relation to that note, Members of the NYSC 2020 Batch A Stream II Prospective Corp Members are sending a Plea to Relevant Stakeholders to address the issue.
In the Plea application, they recounted Their Journey thus Far Before and After the imposed Lockdown:
“This lockdown of over four months has been the most frustrating thing ever. We registered to commence service before the lockdown. We were unable to go for camping because the first stream was already filled. We were thus told to wait for the second stream. Unfortunately, the Coronavirus lockdown started while stream I camping was ongoing. It was suspended, and the camps were closed.
Due to the uncertainty of the period, the management decided to allow stream I corps members who left camping at the time be treated as having commenced service, in that their 12-month period ticked on and they will only serve physically for any period left to make 12 months after the lockdown.
For stream II members who registered at the same time but had to be delayed because of the limited capacity of the camps, we have unfortunately been left to hope Coronavirus would disappear some day. We waited on NYSC to know our fate, all to no avail. Our online profile pages remain as they were since then. There has been no update from NYSC management in respect of this since then.
Considering the restrictions occasioned by the spread of COVID-19, we hoped that NYSC would treat us like the stream I members since we were mobilised and registered the same time, and could not begin only because of the limited capacity of the camps. We hoped that, at least, there would be a communication from NYSC to let us know our fate, so we can plan other aspects of our lives accordingly.
Considering again the situation of things and the severity of the lockdown and work restrictions when the pandemic started, we felt they probably have thought it would be in the interest of our safety that NYSC would not resume, so we waited further.
A few weeks after, the Vice President-led committee recommended that camping be suspended for the next two years because of the pandemic. We felt some relief, hoping that NYSC could then make a decision and let us know what to do next. It has been over a month now and the situation remains the same.
Again, considering the uncertainties of this period, we should naturally not complain of the wait, but for these reasons:
- We are getting older and our months are essentially wasting, in the sense that, going this way, we will be forced to do the same service for 12 months after all these is over.
- The pandemic has brought financial hardships on us and our parents. At a time we ought to package our profiles and apply for jobs to ease the hardship, we are being held back for having not served.
- Some of us have to commence graduate studies next year. It is only reasonable that we know when our service ends so we can plan our applications and preparations accordingly. We are now been indefinitely held back by the silence from the NYSC management.
- Commencing service and having to spend likely 12 more months than our colleagues in stream I practically renders some of us ineligible to apply for most jobs with age restrictions.
- We consider it unfair that while our colleagues in the first stream are being considered as having commenced service, we are carelessly and endlessly left to whine in hope that NYSC will communicate their decision concerning us some day.
In the light of this, we humbly request that you use your exalted office to reach out to concerned authorities to consider our demands, which are as follows sir:
should reopen camps for us to commence service, IF it is safe to do so, or post us directly to organizations currently operating without camping, as recommended by
consider the above to not be feasible yet, they should activate our profiles and make our months of waiting on their decision count out of our service year.”
Signed: A Prospective Corp Member for NYSC 2020 Batch A Stream II Prospective Corp Members.